Thursday 24 April 2014

CKCB blog hop...challenges 1 & 2 combined

Good morning

By now you should have found your way here from Annies blog  who no doubt impressed you with her lovely project!

So..this month the first challenge was to find a blog from one of our talented team of designers and create a project that was inspired by it. My, my...what a task that was! I have to say there are a plethora of wonderful designs out there.. but eventually I settled on Skyline Paperie as my inspiration as I love the way it has the outline of rooftops and I had just the pictures just waiting to be scrapped!

Some of my regular followers will know that my dear husband is a London Firefighter...and this is a story of one of his jobs.

As many of you probably already know, there is a new London skyscraper called The Shard. It dwarfs other London landmarks and it is quite a feat of engineering..it now looks like this... and it towers above the London Skyline. 



However, one day, my husband had to go to, what was then, a building site where it was being constructed..and he and his crew had to go up it in a builders lift to familiarise themselves with the layout in case they ever have to attend it in an emergency...the only problem was that the lift was an OPEN SIDED lift on the OUTSIDE of the building!! You will be able to see the cage in this photo in the foreground.

Apparently it was very rickety and juddery as they wend their way to the top...but when they got there the view was spectacular. Especially as it was such a clear day. Whilst up there he was able to take these amazing photos, with no glass between him and the outside world.

So, as part two of this months challenge,we had to choose a sketch from a selection made by our designers..and in keeping I decided to stick with Skylines Paperies choice again...so I used this sketch as inspiration and created this LO with my Crime Of the Century Kit.




And here is my take on the sketch.. using the blog design as an inspiration.






As you can see, I used some vellum to make two 'porthole' style windows looking out at the London Skyline and used a sheet of Teresa Collins Memorabilia PP as the background which I then mounted on black CS.  I then used a die cut of the houses and added die cut fluffy clouds and some hand cut ones from some tape work sheer fabric and I added some aeroplanes in the sky with the title and a couple of little wooden figures to finish off. It is quite a simple LO, but I think you get the feeling of the story behind the photos. I will be doing some journalling on a tag and slipping it behind the photos to tell the story for generations to come.

I do hope you have enjoyed my tale..and you like what you see... If you have, then don't forget to leave a comment and become a follower to be in with a chance of winning a small prize at the end of April.

Now, please do hop on over to Lesleys Blog  And see what her creation is.. And if you get lost, please pop back to the CKCB blog to find your way again.

Have fun..and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Elaine




18 comments:

  1. Love how you've windowed the photos even though there weren't any!
    Beautiful photos and let's hope he never has to go up there for real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how amazing that he got that opportunity! I have vertigo so am not sure I could have managed that but the photos he got for you were definitely worth it! Wonderful layout

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a magnificent view he had.The page looks very spectacular.I love the clouds and wood veneer planes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great page, love all the elements you used and it's such a fab story, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute layout :) So sweet elements used a good story too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous layout, love the colours.
    C xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved loved reading your story and learning about London's skyline! Some how I missed not seeing The Shard during the Olympic coverage two years ago. A fascinating journey for me as I will probably not see England in my life time.

    Your layout is exquisite and love the port hole element. A window in time as cities are forever changing. Growing up outside of Houston and still have a home in the Houston area I have watch Houston area grow to include six counties and continues to be the fast growing city in the States.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous fun page, love those fluffy clouds and the planes against the sky blue and WHAT an amazing story - I would have been a jibbering wreck in that lift! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story and how awesome was it for hubby to take such amazing pics?? Fab layout!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning story and amazing pics... love what you did with them too. Came here from CSI. Love your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant take on the challenges Elaine - wonderful photos and a great page for the album. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your take on the sketch with the circle frames, beautiful layout !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your take on the sketch, and what a cool thing to scrap! I left England in 2006 and miss it still very much!
    e.

    ReplyDelete
  14. fabulous story and an incredible scrapbooking layout - wow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, this is a cool thing to document! I love the porthole style windows! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful Lo and pictures Elaine, love the story, really looking forward to my visit and tea at the Shard. X

    ReplyDelete